Sunday, June 21, 2015

The McEntire Legacy: 3.6


“I can’t be with you anymore,” Allyson told Enzo. “We never should have been together in the first place. I love my ex-husband, and I am done with other men.”

“But, Allyson, babe, we had something!” Enzo protested.

“No, we didn’t. What we had was lust. What I want is love. I think you should go,” She told him, pointing towards the street.

“You’ll regret this,” Enzo said as he walked away.

Tyler had seen everything from the window and ran upstairs to the bedroom, pretending to nap.


Allyson rocked him gently, and Tyler pretending to stir and wake up.

“It’s done,” Allyson said, taking his hand. “I broke up with Enzo. And I’m done running around. I thought I was wild and free, but after years of being married and raising children, I’ve realized that I’m ready to settle down.” Tyler looked at his ex-wife, concentrating on her face. She was very sincere, and he could tell that she regretted her actions.

“It will take some time,” Tyler said slowly.

“I will wait for you,” Allyson said, getting down on her knees to beg his forgiveness. Tyler drew her up and kissed her gently. Allyson smiled and held him tightly, as tears started to slide down her face. “I love you, Tyler,” she said through her tears.

“I love you too, Allyson,” Tyler said quietly as he stroked his ex-wife’s head compassionately. “I love you too,” he repeated.


Cindy had been very young when her parents divorced, but she was growing fast.

“Why are you and mommy divorced?” Cindy asked. Tyler had been waiting for this question. He took a deep breath, preparing to explain.

“Sometimes, a mommy and a daddy who really care about each other can have arguments,” he began. “It doesn’t mean they love their children any less. It simply means that sometimes, they need a break.” Tyler explained. Cindy thought for a moment.

“But you and mommy have been all kissy…” she said, making a face to express her disgust.

“Sometimes a mommy and a daddy who have gotten divorced realize what brought them together in the first place. They realize how much they still truly care for each other,” Tyler responded, smiling at his daughter. Cindy shrugged.

“Fine,” she said. “But no more mushy stuff around me.”


Astro had hesitated a while after becoming an adult, but knew that in spite of his affection for his family, he was ready to leave home.

“I want to visit my home planet,” Astro told his parents. Tyler sighed.

“I knew this day would come,” he said, putting his hand on Astro’s shoulder.

“I appreciate everything you’ve both done for me,” Astro said. “You’ve always treated me like a normal human child, and even when I find my home planet and my kind, you will always be the parents who raised me.” Allyson let out a sob and threw herself onto her alien son.

“Good luck,” she said through tears. Astro thought she might never let go.

“We love you, son,” Tyler said, pulling Astro in for a hug. “We wish you luck on your voyage. We hope you will find what you are looking for. Just do us one favor: stay in touch.” Tyler’s eyes began to mist. He had given birth to Astro himself and would certainly never forget the experience.

“Of course, Dad,” Astro said patting his father on the back. “And thank you both.” With that Astro took the rocket ship the family had in storage, and went to find his planet. Tyler wrapped his arms around Allyson.

“I’ll miss him,” she said, leaning back.

“Me too,” Tyler said quietly. “Me too.”


Cindy was sad to see Astro leave, but soon Leanna got older, and she and Cindy became the best of friends. Leanna was geeky and loved video games, and Cindy was more of an active child, but the two got along very well. Cindy admired Leanna’s cleverness, and Leanna admired Cindy’s active and playful spirit. The two were different, but very close, and they knew they would be best friends forever.


It wasn’t long before another baby was on its way. It was a boy, and Tyler and Allyson named him Johnny.


Johnny was a very clever little boy who loved to spend time playing chess and experimenting with his science table.


Johnny got along well with his older sisters, although sometimes Cindy annoyed him. Johnny was a very neat child, and Cindy was a little bit of a slob. At least Leanna was neat enough, although her geeky quirkiness always puzzled him.

“Why do you have to leave our room so messy?” Johnny demanded. Cindy laughed.

“Why do you have to keep our room so neat?” Cindy countered. Then Cindy let out a rude noise for emphasis.

“Ewww gross!” Johnny cried, pinching his nose in horror. Cindy just giggled in response to her brother’s reaction. Johnny rolled his eyes and walked away as she tried to waft the stench towards him.


Over the next several months, Allyson practiced mixology and baking and got a job in the culinary career track. Her relationship with Tyler was flourishing, but she knew he was getting older, so she decided to bring in some extra money for the future. She started out as a dishwasher, which was not very glamorous, but she hoped to work her way up through the ranks. It turned out, that having her own career made Allyson feel fulfilled, and she and Tyler were becoming closer than ever.


“I baked you some cake, honey,” Allyson said smiling at her ex-husband. He smiled back at her.

“That’s very thoughtful of you, dear,” Tyler replied. “You’re such a  good cook, and I’m so happy you’re pursuing a career that you like.”

“Thank you,” Allyson said, glowing with his praise. “I hope you don’t mind me having less time to spend with the children,” she said biting her lip.

“I only work a few days a week now,” Tyler said, patting Allyson on the shoulder. “You’ve taken such good care of our children over the years. Now I have more time to spend with them, just like I’ve always wanted, so now it’s my turn.” He pulled Allyson into a tight hug. “I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too,” she whispered back. She could not believe how she and her life had changed and how she was finally exactly where she wanted to be.


A few more months passed, and Tyler and Allyson were happier than ever with their stable, loving family.

“Tyler,” Allyson began, getting down on one knee. “I know I have wronged you in the past, and I am so blessed that you have forgiven me. You have given me the life I truly wanted, and that life is with you. Now it’s my turn. With this ring, I am asking you to marry me, so we can be a true family once again. I love you, Tyler.” Tyler’s eyes watered as he stared at his ex-wife. She had changed and stayed faithful to him, and he loved and trusted her. She was the mother of his children, and he wanted to make her his wife once again. Tyler took the ring and put it on his finger without saying a word. He was choked up and could not find a way to express his happiness. He smiled down and his ex-wife/fiancee and drew her up and held her close. He finally managed to speak.

“You’ve made an old man very happy,” he choked out. Allyson kissed him on the cheek.

“You’ve made a very foolish middle-aged woman very happy,” Allyson said, squeezing him.


The wedding ceremony was lovely, and all of their children watched as the made their new vows.

“I guess this makes you my ex-ex-wife,” Tyler said before the big kiss.

“Shut up and kiss me,” Allyson said, pulling him in and kissing him passionately.

“Gross!” Cindy, Leanna, and Johnny chorused. Tyler and Allyson laughed at their children’s disgust. Alex, Shirley, Colin, Tim, Katie, and Astro, who had come back from his planet of origin to watch the ceremony, laughed and cheered for their remarried parents. Tyler and Allyson were overjoyed and ready to continue their lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment